Class XV (2019)
Michael N. Gilliam is a proud graduate of MLP Class XV and the recently retired chief executive officer of the San Antonio Lighthouse for the Blind and Vision Impaired, responsible for all operations. Mike began his employment with the Lighthouse, after a 30-year career at AT&T, having spent three years on the Board of Directors. During his tenure, the SALBVI Team has received recognition at the local, state and national level as one of the best places to work and best run non-profits (examples below, but no need to read all of them).
- -Express News’ “Best Place to Work in San Antonio”
- -SA Business Journal’s “Best Place to Work in San Antonio”
- -Texas Monthly Magazine’s Best Place to Work in Texas”
- -AARP’s “Nation’s Best Place to Work for People Over 50”
- -UTSA’s “Most Ethical Company in San Antonio”
- -United Way’s “Board of the Year”
- -SA Business Journal’s “Outstanding Non-Profit”
- -Roy Maas’ “Outstanding Large Business in San Antonio”
- -Texas Diversity Council’s “San Antonio Diversity Company of the Year”
- -Non-Profit Resource Center’s “Top 50 Non-Profits in the Nation”
- -Non Profit Council’s “Outstanding Non-Profit”
- -“Nation’s Fastest Growing Lighthouse” multiple times
- -“Nation’s Outstanding Lighthouse Work Environment”
Mike has been and is a rabid supporter of MLP, with 3 of his tops execs also having graduated. He is a fourth generation San Antonian, who has the distinction of moving 22 times by the time he was 46---but has been able to remain in SA for the past 22 years--- his forever home now. He and his wife Marlos spend their spare time antiquing, watching high school and college sports, traveling internationally and playing with their six grandkids.